The Silicon Labs Thunderboard™ family is a small and feature packed development platform for battery operated IoT applications. The mobile app enables a quick proof of concept of cloud connected sensors. The multi-protocol radio combined with a broad selection of on-board sensors, make the Thunderboard Sense and React an excellent platform to develop and prototype a wide range of battery powered IoT applications.
Scan this tutorial to get familiar with it. Then complete each step in a sequential manner. Each step builds upon the previous one.
This tutorial will teach you how to connect your Thunderboard™ device to Xively through a customized iOS Thunderboard application on your iPhone, and then visualize the device data in the Xively management app.
Thunderboard React and Sense development kits
- A web browser on your computer
- Xively Thunderboard application on your iPhone
Download the Xively Thunderboard application on your iPhone.
If you cannot start your application right away after you downloaded it, see Guidelines for installing custom enterprise apps on iOS for further instructions.
Before connecting a physical device to Xively, create its digital representation in the system. This operation will create a device template and a device instance inside the Xively service to represent your Thunderboard™ device.
- Log in to the Xively management app.
- Click on
Add another device.
From the pop-up window select
Choose from our template galleryand click
From the buttons at the top of the window, select
Quickstart Kits, then select
SiLabs Thunderboard, and click
Result: The digital representation of your physical device is created in Xively and you see the device simulation page.
- Navigate to the digital device page:
a. Go to
Device templatesand click the SiLabs Thunderboard template you have just created.
b. Go to the
Devicestab and click My Sample SiLabs Thunderboard.
- On the device page, in the top right-hand corner, click
- On the pop-up window, click
The QR code appears on the display:
- On the iPhone, open the Xively Thunderboard application and click on the settings cogwheel button.
- Read the QR from the web browser with your iPhone camera.
- Close the settings view and keep the app open on your iPhone.
Tip: Set the Auto-Lock to
Neveron your iPhone, that ensures a stable connection. Keep the app open on your iPhone.
- Power on your Thunderboard™ device and wait until the device appears in the application.
That usually takes a few seconds. If you don't see the device after that time, restart the app or the board, or both.
- Select the device.
- Select one of the sensor categories you want to track, for example, select
- Enable streaming to cloud.
- Go back to the Xively management app and navigate to the device page.
- On the device page, click
Simulatein the top right-hand corner and watch the visualized incoming data.
The data is presented in real time. Depending on your internet connection, visualization speed may vary.
Now your Thunderboard™ device is connected to Xively and the Xively management app shows the device data in real time.
- On the device simulation page, scroll down to the Green LED chart and click it.
The green LED toggle appears.
- To turn the LED on, click its toggle.
The LED on the board turns on.
Updated about a year ago